Reports to: Plant Manager
The Manufacturing Engineer will support the Milling department and reports to Engineering. The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for the translation of Customer prints to create a compliant part, including writing and verifying specifications, maintaining product process by using basic and sound engineering principles, programming, policies and controls. The Manufacturing Engineer will also conduct specialized manufacturing engineering assignments in order to obtain the most consistent components/products, at the most economical manufacturing costs for manufacturing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and develop manufacturing processes for new products, product changes and enhancements as per requested by CUSTOMER in blueprint form.
- Develop prototypes and perform application programming for all Milling products.
- Develop and improve manufacturing processes by studying product and manufacturing methods. Optimize machining processes making improvements to current operations to improve efficiency. Recommend and implement cost reductions.
- Evaluate manufacturing processes by designing and conducting research programs; applying knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials; conferring with equipment vendors; soliciting observations from machinist and operators.
- Maintains product, process programs, ensuring organization and standardization.
- Complete design and development projects by training and guiding operators and machinists.
- Analysis and review of software requirements to determine feasibility of design with time, quality and cost constraints.
- Interface with other departments such as Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality and other departments to resolve production problems.
- Optimize and document machine setup processes, standardize processes.
- Design & troubleshoot fixtures.
- Develop process prints, as necessary.
- Assist the Quoting Engineer in development of accurate and timely quotes to Customers.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent experience
- CNC Program Machining experience.
- Experience in Milling.
- Experience with modern machining methods.
- Knowledge of ISO and Lean Manufacturing.
- Strong documentation and technical writing skills
- Proficiency with CamWorks , MasterCam and MS Office tools.
- Proficiently interprets blueprints and other technical documents.
- Advanced math skills.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Ability to read, write and understand English.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- A genuine belief in continuous improvement and disciplined processes and a willingness to analyze, challenge and refine processes to create a more efficient environment and culture.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Visual acuity to read instructions, operate machines, and inspect parts produced.
- Prolonged periods working on feet, using tools, and performing repetitive actions that entail frequent bending and stooping.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 5-7 years of related experience required.
- Experience operating Haas and Okuma machines required.
- Experience operating EDM WIRE and EDM RAM preferred.
- Experience operating Mazak and/or Eurotech Lathes preferred.